What is a Tinkering Lab?
A Tinkering Lab is a fully-equipped studio where students can engage in hands-on learning, creative play, fun science projects and tinkering. The idea behind such an environment is to facilitate learning through self discovery and collaboration with other children and trained mentors. The lab serves as a prepared environment with lots of stimulating materials like Lego robotics, science kits, 3D printer, Electronic hardware, hand & power tools, etc. Students take part in fun activities related to STEM (science, technology, engineering and maths) and art to develop the ability to think in new ways and problem solve in our changing environment.
MakersLoft offers the following support to schools for Tinkering Lab:
- Helping design and setup lab
- Procurement of tools and equipment, like 3D Printer, robotic and science kits etc.
- Grade wise annual curriculum for STEM programs. Click here for more information about some of the programs
- Teacher Training
- Setting up processes for effective management of tinkering lab
- Periodic review with school management
- Hand-holding and guidance for implementation of the lab
- Help in organizing periodic competitions and showcase of student projects
- Summer and winter camps
- Mentoring students
Interested in setting up a Tinkering Lab at your school or community? Call us at 8335075374 (between Tuesday – Saturday, 11am-7pm) or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Atal Tinkering Laboratories
With a vision to ‘Cultivate one Million children in India as Neoteric Innovators’, Atal Innovation Mission (AIM), part of Niti Aayog, is establishing Atal Tinkering Laboratories (ATLs) in schools across India. The objective of this scheme is to foster curiosity, creativity and imagination in young minds; and inculcate skills such as design mindset, computational thinking, adaptive learning, physical computing etc. AIM will provide grant-in-aid that includes a one-time establishment cost of Rs. 10 lakh and operational expenses of Rs. 10 lakh for a maximum period of 5 years to each ATL. Schools (minimum Grade VI – X) managed by Government, local body or private trusts/society are eligible to set up ATL.
To know more about Atal Tinkering Laboratories click here
Last date of submission : 15th August 2017